RE: [OM] Tokina? Filters..

Subject: RE: [OM] Tokina? Filters..
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:33:18 -0600
I wouldn't be so quick to diss Tokina lenses. Here is  my take on a few of
them....

28-85mm/f3.5-4.5 ATX - a well built zoom that can make some very sharp
images (see Gary Reese's OM lens tests) and covers a popular range that
Olympus never delivered a good lens for.

70-210mm/f4-f5.6 SD zoom. Very light and compact lens that delivers a better
image than the Zuiko 65-200mm/f4. My  conclusion is again based on Gary
Reese's tests and my own comparison tests, since I have both. The down side
is that since it is Tokina's 'amateur' line, it isn't as ruggedly
constructed as the Zuiko or the Tokina ATX lenses.

150-500mm/f5.6 ATX zoom - another nice lens whose range is not matched by an
Olympus zoom.

I'm sure other list members have favorites too. The point is that quality
companies like Tokina & Tamron often filled a need that wasn't directly
addressed by Olympus.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx