Re: [OM] Tokina? Filters...

Subject: Re: [OM] Tokina? Filters...
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 22:59:23
I'm glad I had a protective filter on my Zuiko the other day while photographing some classic tractors on display outdoors in nearby Decatur. The wind was whipping around in unpredictable patterns and stirring up dust and debris from a nearby vacant lot. After I got home I noticed two small but distinct chinks in the filter from small bits of gravel. Could have been the front element of the lens.

I have three or four protective filters similarly damaged from photographing outdoors on windy days. But no lenses with such damaged. That's enough to convince me to keep protective filters handy and use 'em when conditions warrant.

While I'm not particular about brands - I buy most of mine used from local stores that stock a nice supply of filters in undamaged condition - the Hoya multicoated UV/haze/skylight filters seem to do an very good job, combined with a hood, at minimizing flare. I also have an uncoated B+W on a Canon FD 35mm that doesn't add flare even when aimed toward sunsets or similar light sources. Maybe the overall quality of the glass is as important as coatings, I dunno.