[OM] Troublesome Deals (follow up)

Subject: [OM] Troublesome Deals (follow up)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:05:17 EST
Jim Couch wrote, in part:
>It seems to me, under the circumstances that it would be appropriate to post
at least neutral  feedback.

Well, normally I would agree with you, Jim, but there is more.  Since the gal
I mentioned has not posted her opinion (I think she is just too bummed out at
the moment, or maybe is just more shy than I am -- she is BRAND NEW to the
list), I will share another comment she made to me, which was that when she
e-mailed this seller regarding the broken mirror, he e-mailed back that his
"assistant" had put a photo of the wrong camera in the ad.  She said
essentially, B.S., that the camera she received had a dent in the bottom
plate that matched EXACTLY  the dent in the bottom plate of the camera
pictured in the ad.

As for my deal, it took two trips into downtown Seattle (which isn't a fun
commute anymore, no matter the time of day, and 40 miles round trip) to
Phototronics, several days wait (after first being told no parts were
available, but then luckily they found a viewfinder for me) for me to get the
"excellent" camera I thought I was buying in the first place.  And then
another two weeks wait for some money back from the seller.  (He did offer to
trade the camera he sent me for another OM-2s he said he had -- I wonder if
that was the one with the broken mirror and dust in the lens that the poor
gal got?).  I'm wondering now what else may be wrong with mine.  (Geez, I
wish John Hermanson was my brother-in-law).

I guess the most neutral I can be about this seller is to say I will no
longer bid on ANY of his auctions, EVER, and would advise others to be most
cautious with him, if they choose to deal with him at all.

I just received my 10th or 11th item from e-Bay auctions in today's mail.
With that one exception, all have gone well.  Still waiting on the 300mm
f/4.5 from Canada.... but it could very well be right down here at my local
P.O.  Didn't get away from work in time today to stop in and check.  The
OM-2s was there, when I was wondering what was taking so long for it to get
here from AR, but they never did leave me a delivery attempt notice for it.
I'm wondering if they've overlooked that little step again with the tele?
One lens was left outside my apt. door -- not a good idea in this
neighborhood, even near Christmas.

By the way, that was good advice someone posted about "look CAREFULLY at the
photos, ask questions, etc." (I would ad: ESPECIALLY if you see the words
"THIS ____ IS BEING SOLD AS IS" and/or the pictures of the items aren't very
clear.  Also, look at the seller's other auctions.  Are they all, or mostly
all camera equipment?  Or are they a little bit of everything?  That tells
you something.

The used photo equipment dealer I bought my T20 from said there are a lot of
camera dealers selling on e-Bay who are representing themselves as Joe
citizen, stating such things as, "I don't know much about cameras, but this
one looks to be O.K.", etc..  So that kind of statement should be a red flag,
too.

Rich