[OM] Re:500$ mechanical camera

Subject: [OM] Re:500$ mechanical camera
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 12:48:04 -0800
 >Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:48:10 -0800
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Open Letter to Olympus
 Finding a new well made mechanical camera for $500 is
just not going to happen. Besides, who would then buy the OM3Ti which
is already expensive due to low volume.

Uh, N*k*n FM-2's sell new for about 550$.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright

You are right and the Aria sells for about $600, but those are probably special situations. I doubt that either company makes any money on them because they can provide a price leader and an opening into the profitable lens line with a more expensive body possibly down the line. It would not make sense to me for Olympus to create a new $500 OM1 price leader, especially since the much cheaper OM 2000 even has a superior meter. But if they stick the spot meter in a new OM1, then you have a duplicate of the OM3. The sale of lenses may be good for them, but I don't think that many "new OM1" purchasers will spend $1200 or $1300 for an additional body with very little in the way of additional features.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA