Re: [OM] Olympus lens values?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus lens values?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 18:15:38 +0800

jldasch@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 C.H.> Lenses quality are somewhat subjective, to some people one
>     C.H.> lens qualities are more important than the other. To me
>     C.H.> Zuikos (not all but most of them) have the quality that I
>     C.H.> wanted.
>
> The actual quality of a lens, for each parameter of interest, is not
> subjective, it's a scientifically testable fact (resoltution,
> contrast, aberation, ...).  How one chooses to interpret these facts
> in a purchase or use decision is often subjective (unless one has
> established some objective requirements apriori).
>
> -John

Here I can't agree with you, check www.photodo.com you will know you
have spent too much money on a Zuiko 90/2, Nikon 100/2.8 macro, Leica
100/2.8 macro.... Just get a Tokina 90/2.5 at a much better price and
you get the same or better MTF. Bokeh cannot be measured effectively,
color and contrast also, check photodo again you will found most
lenses has similar MTF at 10 lp/mm which represent contrast of a lens.
Pop photo say they have never seen any lens that is too contrasty, but
me and lots of my friend found some Nikon are too contrasty. Many of
my friend don't buy the color of Canon - too soft. They also said some
Nikon lenses are not real in color even look saturated. Some people on
the list say one lens gives more 3D look image than the other. Just to
name a few... no only my opinion, but it is sure subjective.

C.H.Ling