Re: [OM] Brighter Viewfinders

Subject: Re: [OM] Brighter Viewfinders
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 00:43:06 -0500
Yes, of course you are right. But when you are loosing one stop a decade to failing clarity of the lens in your eye (as we are all doing, so I've read) anything that can slow down the process is appreciated. Either that or go to auto focus. Can't believe I said that!

Gregg

Winsor wrote:
  What fools a lot of people, Mark, is that the view
through the camera does not "look" twice as bright
when we open up one stop. I,ve had a difficult time
explaining this to people who insist the screen only
looks twice as bright when you open up two stops. They
believe their eyes before they accept the math. John
--- "Mark A. Thalman" <mthalman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think this is sort of what I was driving at when I have pooh-poohed upgrading to the series 2 screens in the past. John Hermanson said, I believe, that you get a measurable increase in screen brightness of .6 of an F stop. Thank goodness for John's objectivity. An easy way then to check whether those of you who have been thinking about it really need a series 2 screen would be to take your fastest lens on your OM, stop it down 1/2 F stop from wide open and look through the viewfinder while pressing in the preview button on the lens. While looking through the lens let up on the preview button so that the aperture opens to its widest and note the difference with 1/2 stop more light. It ain't dramatic. At least not to me.

If brightness is very important then the clear screens with microprism centers such as 1-5, 1-6, or 1-7 are very bright subjectively. You just don't get as flexible a viewfinder tool for most shooting as the 1-13.

Winsor

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA