Re: [OM] Naming Names

Subject: Re: [OM] Naming Names
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:31:18 -0800
At 10:27 AM 12/28/00 -0800, Kelton wrote:

>I agree, but Frank should be prepared for mail from a handful of list
>members urging him not to reveal the name. Several weeks back I aired the
>name of a seller giving me problems and got some negative off-list
>feedback from a few list members for it. I felt I was taking on personal
>risk for the benefit of the list (giving advance warning to other
>potential purchasers), but that got spun by a few people as my jumping to
>conclusions and damaging an innocent seller's record.

As one of the offlist replies I take exception to Kelton's comment. In the
"summary" you stated that the transaction had not been completed and the
vendor was supposed to be doing something. How can you drag someone through
the mud when the deal ain't done??? And how does that in turn threaten
you?? Come on folks - the web can often lead to paranoia before anything
happens. I gave Kelton the example of a transaction where an item I sold
had not even arrived (it was well within the shipping schedule) and the guy
was accusing me of switching items --- he hadn't even seen the thing yet.
In the end he sent very positive feedback once he received the item. Had he
followed Kelton's formula he would have had me posted to every mailing list
as a "deadbeat" when there was absolutely NO basis for his comments.

If the deal is done and it has been a bad one then it is appropriate to
name names.

Has the transaction completed yet Kelton????

Barry H