Re: [OM] OM4T shutter release problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T shutter release problem
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 09:01:19 -0600
Tom A. Trottier wrote:

> Hi, anyone have experience with a balky shutter release button? It
> now takes a fair bit of pressure to take the picture.

You haven't perhaps got an old OM-1/2 bayonet-style MD cap jammed into
the bottom cover, where a new threaded-style MD cap should be, do you?
I've seen folks do that, and it sometimes interferes with the
release....

Other (more likely!) causes:
Is the release gummy?  There may be some sticky-stuff (spray from
opening a soft drink nearby, a drip from a cup of coffee passed over the
camera, etc.) in the collar.

Or is it just that you have to press really _deep_ to get it to fire?
In that case, it could be that the adjustment has shifted.  Have you
used a cable release?  At the top of the release shaft under the top
cover there's a threaded post to adjust the depth of release - if you
look through the center of the release button, you may see it (it looks
like the head of a screw - which, in fact, it is more or less).
Sometimes, when you thread on a cable release, the plunger will turn
that adjustment.  It's supposed to be sealed, but there you are.  If
that's the problem, you may be able to simply "unscrew" it a little with
a tiny jeweler's screwdriver through the hole in the release button.
Turn it one full turn counter-clockwise to start, then check - if it's
not better, stop.  If it does get better, the proper setting is to
adjust the release so that a flat edge laid across the release button
collar does not trip the shutter, but pressing the button just below the
collar _does_.

If, however, it's extra _force_ that's needed to fire the shutter,
that's a problem.  Something's in the way of the mechanism, or
something's come loose - you may find it just inside the bottom cover,
along the slide that the release shaft operates, or it may be behind the
front casting (major disassembly time!).  If you want to look under to
bottom cover, it cover comes off w/the 4 screws on the bottom - nothing
else is loose, except possibly the seals around the tripod mount and MD
contacts.  Wind and fire the camera in "B", and watch it work (wheeee!)
- see if there's something loose in the way of the slide.

Otherwise - time for a trip to the doctor's!

Good luck!