Re: [OM] Tokina? Filters...

Subject: Re: [OM] Tokina? Filters...
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:38:47 +0100
Garth Wood wrote:

> At 05:10 PM 12/21/00 -0800, Albert Yang wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >What is a "decent" filter to get?  Can someone name me a few brands?
> >I'm clueless...
>
> 1.  B+W.  Great German filters.  Mostly uncoated,

B+W filters are all coated.

IMHO they have the best multi coating on the market. 14 layer (7 each
side) and an additional protective layer which makes it easier to
clean them. The protective coating is good thing since MC coated
surfaces tend to attract dust.

Most Japanese filter have much simpler MC coating only the very best
Hoya/Kenko filters also have 14 layer coating.

> but desirable for their
> wide range of colour-correction filters as well as dead-flat Schott optical
> glass.

The filter frames are made of brass, which prevents the sticky filter
syndrome. The frames are blacked with black chrome similar to Leica
cameras.

Ask for the new slim design filters they prevent vigneting with
superwide angle lenses.

B+W also produces special "Käsemann" polarizing filters. They are
specially made to maintain optimum flatness, essential for tele
lenses.

>  Expensive.

IMHO they are not more expensive than the top Hoya filters, but those
filters have simpler aluminium frames.

Another brands to be mentioned is:

Heliopan

They use the same high quality Schott glass than B+W. Heliopans
coating is of similar excellent 14 layer quality than B+W, but is
missing the protective layer.

The filter frames are also of high quality, made from solid brass.
Heliopan use an conventional blackening technique for the frames,
making it more smooth than the B+W.

Heliopan filter are the most smooth to screw in filters on the market.
I like that they are sooo smooooth.... ;-)

Heliopan filters are also available with slim frames. That's the frame
type an Olympus user wants, save to use with hood on critical lenses
like the 28mm/2.0 and 24mm/2.0.

Polarizing filters are also available in slim mounts, but missing an
front thread (like Hoya too). That's no problem with 72mm were you
either have an build in hood (tele) or don't be able to use an hood
like the 18mm/3.5.

Käsemann type polarizers are also available.

The Heliopan 14 layer MC circular polarizing filter in slim frame is
not more expensive than the top Hoya model but of much better build
quality.

Did I say that Heliopan filters are now my favourite filters? ;-)

For smaller diameter polarizer an OM user wants to use of course:

Olympus

Extreme slim circ.-polarizing filters in 49mm and 55mm with front
thread, save to use with hood on critical lenses.

AFAIK the most slim polarizing filter on the market.

Disadvantage: Olympus polarizer are IMHO not coated, normal filters
have only single coating (similar with other expensive OEM filters
like N*k*n, C*n*n, M*n*lta).

Olympus filters are sometimes difficult to obtain and if available on
occasion ridiculously high priced.

Best regards

Richard

p.s. check if you get an single coated or an MC filter. B+W, Heliopan
and Hoya filters are also available with a simple coating. Price
difference SC-MC is small, MC is preferred (especially with wide angle
lenses) but SC is more rugged and the difference on the picture might
be to small to be noticed.