[OM] Copying negatives to negatives from Hank

Subject: [OM] Copying negatives to negatives from Hank
From: "Hank Hogan" <hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 21:39:26 -0800
Cc: "<John Hudson" <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Yes, I used to make black and white positives by copying negatives to
negative
so I'll make some comments -

I wanted to make some positive slides of my infrared negatives for a slide
show.
I used my cheap but effective zoom slide duplicator and made a "negative
carrier"
out of an old thick gray plastic slide mount  whch was cut through - just
improvise something.

I used Tmax 100, Tech Pan, Tri X 400 and a special Kodak color film called
Vericolor SO
type III or something and there was an article in PhotoTechniques about how
to use it.
The Vericolor film was the coolest because you could use colored filters to
make
it "Sepia tone" type slides or any color you wanted.  I wanted Red so I
used a blue Wratten 47

I remember I reversed a tech pan negative of a goldfish close up and was
able to make
a goldfish orange colored slide for projection.

Tmax 100 is the most forgiving and usually gives best results so I'd start
with that.
Tech Pan is fantastic  but often gives negatives that are "uneven"
diagonally
due to over agitation during development.

If you ever use Tech Pan try the Technidol liquid developer in the
convenient packets
and rate the film at ISO 25.

In the old days, as a microscopy lab techician, I used to make tons of BW
projections slides for
various seminars and lectures.  The film I used most often was a very high
contrast one
called Kodak LPD-4  Line Film.  It was great for taking printouts, line
drawings, but could not
be used with continuous tone material like electron micrographs or normal
contrast art work.
It could be used for making contact duplicates of original negatives but I
never tried it for that.

For continuous tone art work you had to use extremely slosw Kodak MP5360
film  in an OM1
with mirror lock up on a copy stand with a Zuiko 50mm f3.5 macro lens set
at f8 and bracket
exposures on the Polaroid MP4 copy stand (8, 15, 30 sec).
The film which is still made by Kodak exclusively for Electron Micrsocopy
Suppliers like
Ted Pella, Incorporated  only comes in bulk rolls so hang on to your bulk
loader.
All electron microscopists will know this film very well.

I might be able to dig up the article on Vericolor but it sounds like
you've already got it.
If you want to discuss this some more we can go off list.  I still have
most of my old protocols for
developing black and white positive slides, etc.

Maybe I'll construct a web page with the old protocols it seems like there
is still quite a bit of interest
in this stuff from time to time.

-- Hank Hogan <hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://flzhgn.home.mindspring.com/indexc.htm