Re: [OM] Digital trends- basic chemistry

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital trends- basic chemistry
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 18:24:41 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "M Lenord" <mlenord@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> It may seem so with all of the 'hype' that is being built up around this
> 'convenient' technology.  Using todays chemical film quality, digital will
> not catch up within the foreseeable future (not unless there is some MAJOR
> breakthrough in technology).

What do you mean by foreseeable future? five years, ten years or twenty
years? I'm sure pictures from digital camera will be better 35mm camera in
ten years for both resolution and grain.

> Chemical film captures images on the molecular
> level- silver halide molecules in varying degrees of exposure. Digital
> images are captured by electonic components crafted by the machines of
man-
> no where near the molecular level.

Just ridiculous, your image resolution never come close to molecular level.
If you have been watching this list long enough you will learn from other
members that resolution is limited by lens design and the diffraction limit,
also the film never get resolution down to molecular level, it is between
60-200 lp/mm (normal negative to finest b/w)

C.H.Ling