Re: [OM] Everyone's opinion

Subject: Re: [OM] Everyone's opinion
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:37:40 -0800
Chris,
The OM-2000 is not a blood relative in the OM family. It's made by Cosina,
but enjoys the OM mount. The OM lens mount is the only thing that relates it
to OM. It cannot use the non-lens accessories in the OM system. It features
a spot meter which is reportedly quite good. This feature is shared with the
OM-2S and the 3 and 4 series, though not the same circuit, etc.Also, the 3
and 4's have multi-spot metering which the 2000 lacks. The photos you saw
and enjoyed were taken by people with vision. Their vision is executed with
the OM system of bodies and lenses. If you share the vision, you will be
able to use the 2000 and Zuiko lenses to make beatiful images. You would
not, however, have access to the many accessories available to owners of the
other bodies, including winders, viewfinder accessories, focusing screens,
flash accessories (not sure about TTL flash and T model flash equipment),
and the charm of having a classic OM hanging around your neck. (oops, that's
a sign of Zuikoholism, must suppress).

Unfortunately, the lens that comes on the 2000 is not very well liked in
this circle of friends. Although I haven't touched one, I haven't heard any
coments to suggest I should. But the mount allows you to enjoy most desirous
of the Zuiko collection, and for that the OM-2000 is at least accepted. If
you are just starting out, get a prime lens (not a zoom).  The lessons you
will learn in composition are invaluable.

As for maintenance, longevity and durability, you'll be on your own. The
Olympus manufactured bodies have shown impressive longevity and are sought
after by many who want to both use and collect them. Not sure about the
2000...

Anyway, buy an OM. If you are more comfortable with the 2000, then do it.
You'll come around to our way of thinking.. ;-)

Good luck and Happy New Year!
Mickey Trageser