[OM] Everyone's Opinion

Subject: [OM] Everyone's Opinion
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:41:06 EST
Chris Stinson wrote, in part:
>I've *really* wanted an SLR for months,
and,
>which camera do you like, and why?

My two bits, Chris: If you're just starting out in photography, start with an
OM-1n.  All the features of an OM-1MD plus the "flash ready" light.  I
started out with an OM-1MD and I wouldn't have much of a clue about shutter
speeds, aperture, depth of field, etc. to this day if I had purchased an
auto-exposure model to start with.  It's just too easy to use the
auto-exposure mode most of the time.  There is great satisfaction to be
gotten from controlling all aspects of your photos, as well as much to be
learned.

If you already have a pretty good feel for the basics, the OM-2s is a great
buy right now.  I couldn't afford one when it first came out, but recently
acquired one from an e-Bay seller for $202.50 U.S..  Came with a 50mm f/1.8
and a damaged viewfinder, which I promptly had repaired.  The seller was good
about re-imbursing me for the repair.

See Tom Scales' comments re: e-Bay -- I concur with all of them.  Read the
ads CAREFULLY, look at the pics of the items CLOSELY, and ask questions if
the description isn't complete.  Look at seller feedback, and his other
auctions.  I have more confidence when the description makes it obvious the
seller knows camera equipment and how to describe it.  And when there are
good pics of the item.  I am up to about my 12th e-Bay deal.  Just received a
300mm f/4.5 lens this week from Canada done via e-Bay (no problems with VAT
or Canada Post -- it looks like new, I'm thrilled!).

I just won an auction for another OM-2s for my bro-in-law and sister.  Seller
stated in the ad that the wind mechanism is broke, so I bid accordingly, and
got it for $103 U.S..  We'll see if I got a buy.  John Hermanson mentioned
that it may need the entire wind mechanism under the top cover replaced.  If
that can be done for under $125, I'll consider it a good deal.  I've seen
OM-2s bodies going for $175 to $225 U.S. or so on e-Bay.  Camera stores are
asking more, sometimes up to $375 with lens.

So far, I love my OM-2s.  Every pic I've taken with it proves it is doing
exactly what I'm telling it to do (even if they aren't such great pics -- be
careful how you use that spot meter in manual mode!).  The one thing that
kinda worries me (but not much) is that it still has the green "flash ready"
indicator in the viewfinder.  I turn off the flash after each shot, and take
the batteries out of the camera between shoots, so I'm doing what I can now
to preserve battery life until I can get the red LED conversion done.  6 mos.
to a year seems to be average battery life for this camera (I'm going on 3
years with a mercury cell in the OM-1MD -- it spoils you).  But I found #357
batteries for the OM-2s at the local pharmacy for $2.99 U.S., so if it's
going to be 6 mos. battery life for now, so be it.  NOBODY else offers an all
metal camera with all these features for anywhere near this price!  Nobody.

If you do start out with an OM-1MD or OM-1n, Chris, you'll probably fall so
in love with it, that, like me and many others, you'll keep it even when you
decide to add the next OM body to your collection.

Keep us posted on your search, and GOOD LUCK!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone!

Rich