Re: [OM] Tokina? Filters...

Subject: Re: [OM] Tokina? Filters...
From: Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 22:12:16 GMT
Richard Schaetzl wrote:

>> with the
>> "cut from flat blanks of Schott glass" hype.
>
>That's crap, the B+W catalog shows how cyinders are drilled out of the
>Schott glass and the cylinder are cut into thin discs, polished and
>coated by B+W.

What I was saying is that B+W are suggesting it is superior to other brands
because of this fact. That it appears in the advert means it is marketing.
Is optical glass made this way superior to any other? Where is the evidence?
My comment that such brands were usually more expensive was compared to
filter manufacturers like Hoya, not brands like Nikon (who have their own
reasons for hefty price tags. I wonder who makes their filters?). Brands
such as B+W, Schneider, Leica et al have traded for a long time (at least in
the UK and, I believe, North America) on the idea that their products are
somehow better because they are German. Perhaps they _are_ better - I
certainly prefer German cars[1] - though in the case of B+W filters I'm not
convinced.

UK dealer Harrison Cameras were advertising B+W filters are good prices
earlier this month (e.g. 49mm plain filters for UKP12, linear pol for UKP20,
circ pol for UKP25 and Kasemann for UKP40). They are in Sheffield, email:
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no connection, etc etc).

Apologies for the Pound sign appearing as =A3 in my previous posts - at
least it does in my digests, yet not when quoted by Richard S. Hmmmm. I'll
try pasting it here from another mail: £

[1] you can't argue with 184,000 miles on my 1984 VW Polo (and still
sounding sweet). And before you try, you just can't!

Simon E.