Re: [OM] The IS-3 saga takes a positive turn

Subject: Re: [OM] The IS-3 saga takes a positive turn
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:20:10 EST
Tom,
Certainly good news that he'll refund 1/2 your money. I think you're much too
kind in giving him the benefit of the doubt. The old story that "I haven't
actually tested this camera with a battery, but it looks like it'll be fine"
just doesn't cut it in my book, but I'm a very suspicious person - not with
list members, of course! -  to begin with, (just an occupational hazard, I
guess.)  If a guy is selling a camera and not stating up front that he can't
get it to work so the sale is "as is", then all parties should expect it to
work. After all, if you receive a DEAD camera, then it's not a camera, it's a
paperweight. And if somebody just offers you 1/2 your money back without
batting an eye, I'd suspect he knew all along it didn't work. If I sold you
(not *you* personally) a camera that I felt was all in order, and you contact
me that it's not in working order, I'd either suspect you weren't operating
it correctly or maybe trying to pull a fast one on me. (Or it got damaged in
the mail). I'd ask you to return it to me for me to see for myself, THEN
offer you a fair alternative (refund) if I received it and it was faulty. I
know this involves extra time and cost for shipping, but ... that's how I'd
feel.
Still sounds like you'll come out ahead on the purchase and, as you say, have
a fine,clean camera when done.

BTW- Just how DID you resist buying the -4Ti and the 135mm lens you just
alerted us to? And no excuse "I have those already", that never stopped you
(or me) before! <g> !

Best,
George S.

tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< To be fair, the seller was honest that he hadn't put batteries in it, and
 didn't know if it worked, but you do kind of expect that it will.  I wrote
 him a short note, explaining the problem, and let him know that I had
 decided to just not leave feedback on the transaction.  I didn't want to
 leave neutral, or negative, as it was certainly my risk buying it.

 He got back with me that he was sorry that it didn't work and that he
 expected that it would.  He seems to be a dealer in something else (not sure
 what) as he has an awful lot of ebay trades.  He offered to refund half my
 purchase price to go towards the repair.  Pretty fair of him, so he'll get
 his positive feedback (as soon as I get the check <g>).