Re: [OM] The IS-3 saga takes a positive turn

Subject: Re: [OM] The IS-3 saga takes a positive turn
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 19:10:32 -0600
George,

All too true.  I'm an educated buyer and knew the ad was somewhat fishy,
just from the wording.  For $200 I would have passed. For $112, I took a
gamble.  Worst case I'm out the $112.  I do feel sorry for an unsuspecting
buyer.  Did he know?  Maybe.  Did he suspect?  Almost assuredly.

The key was the comment in the ad, paraphrasing: "I don't believe it has
been dropped".  That's ebay speak for "I'm pretty darn sure it's been
dropped". Why else would you mention it?

I'm just going to be generous.

The flip side is that he could be honest.  If I sold a piece of equipment
like this and got an email that it was broken, I'd jump in immediately with
an offer of some kind, usually to take it back (hey, it happens, even to
me).  If the buyer has already done research about the cost of the repair,
then I often offer to pay all or part of the repair.  I've done it with a
list member and John H worked out a fine solution for us. I was embarassed
(as I always am with an problem), but I think we worked it out ok.  I
sometimes have to gamble a bit as a seller, as there is no way I could
personally test each and every piece of equipment that passes through my
hands. I often buy entire kits for one or two pieces.  The film cost alone
would kill me.

So, benefit of the doubt time.

As for the 4T and 135....why didn't I jump on them.

Because I'm a bad boy.  After all my talk about winding my purchasing down
and having a nice small kit, I've gone a bit insane in the last three weeks.
Almost none of it is here yet, so I don't know if it was all good deals.

The first kit is kind of an 'experiment' as the seller just wasn't very
knowledgeable about what she was selling. Seemed sincere though and her
asking price was pretty good. The funny part was that I haven't a clue which
lenses I'm getting, other than they're Zuikos.

Here's my purchases in December (ack, it hurts to see them all listed):

OM-3
OM-2S
50 something
28 something
135 something
2X who knows what brand - be nice if it was a 2X-A!
1.4 better be the promised Zuiko
300/4.5
Champagne 4T
180/2.8
100/2.8
Black 4T
Motor Drive 2
35/2
T20
Tokina 17
Vivitar Series 1 35-85/2.8
100/2

It's going to be Christmas all over again......

Happy New Year!

Tom