Re: [OM] Paging Ray Moth (long and mostly

Subject: Re: [OM] Paging Ray Moth (long and mostly
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 02:26:02 -0800 (PST)
Tom Scales wrote:

Perhaps my memory is faulty, but don't you live in or near Jakarta?  I
hope you, and everyone around you, are safe. Terrible things to be
happening on Christmas....who in the world would bomb churches.

Thanks, Tom, for your concern. I'm only just catching up with reading
the Oly Digests, having been out of the office from 22 Dec until now.
Yes, I do live in Jakarta and, as you say, there have been bombings
here. Fortunately, neither I nor any of my family or friends was in
danger.

Being, among other things, a naturalised Australian, I receive
bulletins from time to time from the Australian Embassy here. The
following bulletin was issued, through eMail, on Christmas day:

"Bulletin to Australian Citizens Living in Indonesia

"Released Monday 25 December 2000

"This notice updates information provided in the Embassy bulletin of 22
December 2000.

"There have been a series of bomb attacks against Church property in
Jakarta and in a number of other cities in Indonesia on Christmas Eve
including in Bandung, Mojokerto, Surabaya, Mataram, Pekanbaru and
Batam. In Jakarta, bombs exploded outside the Catholic Cathedral and St
Canisias school in Menteng, at St Joseph's Church at Jatinegara and at
Oi Kou Mene Church near Halim airport. Some of the bombs appear to have
been car bombs, other bombs are reported to have been sent to Churches
in Medan disguised in Christmas wrapping. There are early reports of
casualties. It is possible that further attacks could be made against
Churches on Christmas Day. Citizens therefore need to be alert to this
possibility.

"We have been in touch with the security authorities and have been
advised they will be increasing security at Churches."

As far as I am aware, at least 14 deaths were caused by those bombings
on Christmas eve. Few, if any, Indonesian citizens believe these
bombings to have been motivated by religious sectarianism. The bomb
attacks occured almost simultaneoously in different places across the
country, suggesting better organisation than one would expect from any
terrorist or fanatical groups. Most people here blame rogue factions
within the armed forces that are either still loyal to the Soeharto
family or afraid of being brought to trial for atrocities in East and
West Timor. Despite what some foreign journalists have said, sectarian
violence in Indonesia is mostly limited to Maluku Province, which is a
long way east of Jakarta. In general, religious tolerance still reigns,
even though rogue military elements may be trying hard to wreck it.

Further to the above problems, there have been numerous raids during
Ramadhan on places of entertainment. Some, like one I witnessed a few
weeks ago, were conducted by misguided fanatics (the FPI) and consisted
only of vandalism. Other raids, however, were carried out by thugs
wielding sharp weapons such as machetes, sickles and swords, and in
these raids much property was destroyed, customers were held up and
robbed and booze was stolen. I live a few miles from where some of
these raids occurred.

ObOly:
By far the most disturbing thing that I have experienced recently was a
pair of SR44 (silver oxide) batteries, bought new in the UK last June,
that lasted less than one month in my OM-2S when loaded to replace used
up cells. This has happened to me before - SR44s seem to have a short
shelf-life. I buy four at a time but get 4 months from the first pair
and one month from the second.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Regards,

=====