Re: [OM] Question about Exakta Lenses for OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Question about Exakta Lenses for OM
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:25:31 -0800
Greetings and Happy New Year!

I've been thinking about getting an ultra wide angle lens to expand my
perspective. Of course I'd love to have the zuiko 21/2, but I can't justify the cost at this point. I've considered the Vivitar and Phoenix ultra wide/uw zooms, but have reservations about the build quality. A while back, I saw a listing on
ebay for an 18-28/4-4.5 zoom with the Exakta label on it and was wondering if
anyone has any comments about it. Supposedly they are of metal construction and
are relatively well built, though I can't confirm it. Are they worth the money
(less than $200), and/or are they just a rebranded vivitar/cosina/etc?

Thanks in advance!

Bill
--

Could I suggest a 24mm F2.8 which can be had for about $200 from Keh, for instance, in their "excellent condition". ( Buying from a respected dealer gets you some consistency in condtion ratings and some leverage in returning it if it does not please you.) It gives almost the same perspective as the 21, but is a little easier to use without being so persnickety about being absolutely level when shooting when you do not want special effects. It is superbly sharp. A beautiful lens.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA