Re: [OM] OM-3 wind question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3 wind question
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:15:37 -0600
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> He took the OM-3 out in the cold weather and says
> he encountered a problem with the wind mechanism "free-wheeling".
> At first he was concerned that he had torn the film sprockets
> due to the cold but later on, after the camera had warmed a little it
> began behaving normally.

There's a lever inside the bottom of the OM-2s, OM-PC/40, 3-, & 4-series
models that's supposed to stop the wind stroke once the camera is
completely wound.  Grease from the winding gears (there to make the wind
smoother) sometimes migrates onto this lever's post, making it
sluggish.  This often results in multi-frame winding, then eventually
the camera jams when the gears get "crossed" (out of time).  When cold,
I'm sure the lever would be rendered completely inoperative.

The solution is to flush the grease out of the lever with a solvent.