[OM] Regarding Vivitar Series 1 lenses

Subject: [OM] Regarding Vivitar Series 1 lenses
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:29:37
Since I'm guilty of recommending Vivitar Series 1 lenses I suppose I should clarify - or qualify - my position.

I *don't* regard them as equal to the better prime lenses or even some zooms from Olympus, Canon, Nikon, et al. In some cases they may be, but that's not why I buy them.

I consider the Series 1 (and certain other Vivitars like my older non-Series 1 20mm f/3.8, as well as the Soligor C/D series, and others) to be terrific bargains. To me that means a lens that costs around $100 or less - preferably less - and which provides usable images at all focal lengths and apertures, and very good or excellent images within at least a narrow or specific range of focal lengths or apertures.

While Gary has cautioned to watch out for sluggish diaphragms, I simply haven't seen many Vivitars with that problem here in Texas - no more so than Canons, Zuikos and other lenses. Other climates may produce different effects on lenses. It's always a good idea to inspect any used lens closely for proper functioning.

At the right price a good Vivitar (Series 1 or not) fills a void left by many lens makers. For example, most of the affordable midrange Canon zooms are simply junk - flimsy with poor optics. The common Canon 35-70 two-touch zoom is a good example...or perhaps I should say a bad example. The better Canon midrange zooms cost upward of $300 or more in excellent used condition. For my budget something like the Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 at around $100 is just right. It's well made, always produces acceptable images and is capable of producing outstanding images within its sweet spot. Softness wide open simply isn't an issue for me - I reserve shooting wide open for portraits or similar subjects where optical softness is a desirable characteristic.

Anyone who's looking to a Series 1 lens to substitute for, say, a Zuiko 35-80mm f/2.8, will be disappointed. It would also be a mistake to fall for the notion of some mystique surrounding the Series 1 lenses and pay too much. But within their limits and at the right price they are very good additions to one's working tools.