Re: [OM] [OT] - Texas succeeding

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] - Texas succeeding
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:10:48 -0600
Texas is succeeding quite nicely, thanks.. Oh wait...

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 09:26:46AM -0600, dolphans1 wrote:
> Texas is the only State that is able to or capable of succeeding from the
> Union, I believe they where the only State to not actually sign the decree
> when all the States joined. At least, this is what I read many years ago,
> whether a change occurred at a later date, I don't know. Can any historians
> add or confirm, deny?

I'm no historian, but I am a Texas secessionist (though only by peaceful
means). The Treaty of Annexation which brought Texas into the US in 1845 is
still the controlling document, as the US Supreme Court held in 1955. That
treaty contains no means for its abrogation, and there's some question as to
what body would have the legal ability to declare it null and void - not to
mention that the US would quite vigorously oppose such an action.

Texas wuold do quite well on its own, mainly because we would not continue
to be bled by Washington (for every tax dollar Texas sends to Washington,
less than 50 cents come back)...but it'll never happen.