[OM] re: mike on ebay

Subject: [OM] re: mike on ebay
From: Chris Johns <lc-johns@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:24:37 -0600
Mike,

I can truly appreciate your sentiments bout ebay.

I one of those LUCKY ebayers who did land a "good deal" there once (it was my first ebay purchase a lonnnnng time ago). I think the only reason it turned out OK was because the seller HAPPENED to be honest (no guarantees from anywhere), FAILED to put up pics of the equipment (he was inexperienced or didn't have access to digital imaging at all) and I GAMBLED (it could have been trash) on the deal. I netted a OM-2n, Databack3, nice OM blue and tan strap (talk about straps lately), OM gear bag, OM 50mm 3.5 macro, T32 flash, OM 25mm extension tube and a pile of extraneous goodies including filters and a cheap zoom telephoto for under $280. (Boy..it sure is fun bragging about a good deal, but then I won't tell you about the expensive clarinet I bought that had a cracked tenon joint and the seller refused to do anything). My daughter got a great camera out of it and I got the lens and flash. I sold the other junk and have no regrets. I doubt I'd do that again though (especially after the clarinet fiasco). When I need something specific to use, I'll order it from KEH, and I have had reliable "finds" of some macro items from Helix in Chicago. At least then I know exactly what I'm getting (and when), and that it is risk free. It does seem that much of the gear on ebay now is sold by folks that don't have a clue if it works or not and don't particularly care, or they are dealers selling stuff that is "refurbished" and landing prices that are higher than what I can find things for through a LOCAL dealer.

What I think ebay is good for (and I love it for this) is to find items that one can't typically locate without lots of difficulty and/or travel. When was the last time you stumbled upon a 9-inch long centipede embedded in amber lucite at the local K-Mart? (I was the sole but happy bidder on this totally desirable item ;-) I've picked up some excellent quality outdoor clothing. It is unlikely that I will stumble upon gore-tex ski pants at the local Goodwill shop, so ebay is just an expanded on-line thrift shop to me. Fortunately there are some excellent dealers who are honest in their descriptions, and take returns if it doesn't fit. I appreciate that they do the scrounging for me, saving me both time and money. But then maybe they really want to earn a living doing this, and the feedback determines that potential. So, with ebay...it depends on what you need whether it's a good place to get it or not.

About Cambridge and other ratty dealers: I can only extend a huge thank you to this list to confirm my suspicions about them and cause me to cut a reliable deal elsewhere. They are sleazy, and it only takes a couple of calls to figure this out. I'll bet they sell used cars in the alley behind the store.

Chris Johns in corn country