Re: [OM] Re OM 35 SP or XA

Subject: Re: [OM] Re OM 35 SP or XA
From: Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:21:10 GMT
>Talking of the Stylus epic, I get the
>impression that the lenses used on current olympus cameras do not have the
>same "zuiko" quality. Is this true?

Certainly not. The lens of the Stylus Epic (which IIRC incorporates two
aspheric elements) is probably quite a bit better than the XA. The XA is
sharp enough but suffers noticeable vignetting, even stopped down. I have
results from a Stylus Epic that would do an OM justice (IMHO). I have also
seen impressive b&w prints from the program-mode XA3. They're all great
little cameras.

The 35SP is a totally different creature, I'd say you're comparing chalk and
cheese. If it's a truly pocketable lightweight compact look no further than
the Stylus Epic, the only one available new, and truly a bargain. If you
want a mechanical, chunky metal-bodied rangefinder, then go for the RC, RD
or SP models if you can find a nice one. XAs are invariably expensive
secondhand. Information on the rangefinder models, along with many others,
can be found at Stephen Gandy's site (I forget the URL - try searching at
www.google.com).

Simon E.