[OM] Re: OM-1 meter problem

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 meter problem
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 02:08:29
Scott, I'm not familiar enough with the OMs to know whether it's possible or cost effective to repair an OM-1 meter. I suspect it depends on what's wrong. AFAIK nobody makes those old analog needle meters anymore, but there may be some leftovers or cannibalized from other bodies.

However, you might consider adding a handheld meter to your gear. I recently found a seriously ugly Minolta Auto Meter IIIf for $5 at a pawn shop and began using a separate meter for the first time since I studied photography in school many moons ago. While most of the time the Minolta readings agreed perfectly with my cameras' TTL metering, there were a few notable occasions when they differed significantly. When I used the Minolta meter readings the exposures were more accurate.

While I doubt you'll find such a deal on a handheld meter anytime soon (before anyone jumps to the conclusion that I "Fanged" it, this meter has a broken swivel head that flops around like a Mr. Met doll in the rear window - some of ya know what I'm talking about here - and the thing gets persnickety in cold weather) you can find good meters in good condition for reasonable prices from KEH and other sources.

All depends on your shooting style. If you shoot fairly deliberately and in conditions with lighting that doesn't change every few seconds, a handheld meter isn't cumbersome at all.

If you get one with a flash meter too you'll be able to do things with flash that would be very difficult to accomplish successfully otherwise.
Lex Jenkins