[OM] How much is that OM_2S in the window?

Subject: [OM] How much is that OM_2S in the window?
From: pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:10:11 -0500
I walked in to the local camera shop/lab today to pick up some film and on
the shelf I saw a very pretty OM-2S. From the front and the top there were
almost no marks at all. Mounted on it was an equally nice "Made in Japan"
50/1.8. The price tag was $199 which seemed pretty reasonable.

The clerk inserted a pair of silver cells, and handed me the camera. As
expected, there were the usual paint chips on the memo holder on the back,
but otherwise this camera was very, very clean. Viewfinder looked good,
meter seemed to work properly (I didn't check it against another meter,
though). It had that great, familiar, OM-2S shutter sound. I didn't have a
T series flash with me, so I don't know if it has the red viewfinder LED
upgrade or not.

Now, I don't really need another OM-2S, but I was thinking if I could talk
him down a bit I might have myself a deal here. I opened up the back to
take a look inside. The rewind knob was *very* tight and hard to pull up to
release the back. Much harder than on any other OM I had ever used. Then I
noticed the real problem. The shutter curtain looked fine, until I advanced
the lever. While advancing the curtain (I guess it would be the 2nd
curtain, the one that covers the film after exposure) wrinkled as it moved
across the frame. The first curtain looks fine, and the shutter seems to
fire OK. Does anyone know how serious this problem is. It *looks* bad when
you advance the film, but I'm not sure if it really affects operation or
not.

This is a real pretty camera that deserves a good home. I'm probably not
interested, only because if I am going to spend money right now I think I'd
rather go for some new glass instead of a new body (I already have 5 OMs).
If anybody is interested, contact me off list. Considering the shutter
issue, I can probably talk them down some (they will usually haggle a
little, not a lot). But if the shutter thing is easy to fix, or maybe is
not a real concern at all, then it's probably a good deal. I should be able
to get at least a 30 day return policy out of them as well.

Paul Schings