RE: [OM] [OT] Price haggling

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Price haggling
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:14:20 -0800
Susan Steele lamented...

    "Unfortunately, there is no "haggling 101" class in high school to
prepare one."

Similar experience for me.  First time overseas was to Japan with the Air
Force in 1976.  Got me introduced to both Olympus and the fine art of
haggling at the same time.  All the retail merchants anticipated, if not
relished the 'negotiated' transaction.  The ability to haggle and come to
terms in Japanese was some of the most valuable foreign language I learned.
It's not like the situation Susan mentioned where the merchants become
outright rude, but you could see a distinct look of surprise if you just
paid the marked price.

Only thing close in the states is the 'art' of buying a new car...

OM content;  Got my OM-1 through the base exchange, so no haggle.  Got a
couple lenses off base, haggled what were at the time acceptable deals.