Re: [OM] [OT] Price haggling

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Price haggling
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:39:45 EST
In a message dated 1/5/01 12:58:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
halpert@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Here in the US is about the only place I've seen where people are sometimes
>  actually proud to boast that "If I want an item, I just buy it! I don't
> haggle!"

I think here you're just running into a different set of mores for the
country..our upbringing and "manners" that we are taught vary widely from
other countries... here haggling is seen to be crude and without class, just
as discussing or flaunting money, airing your dirty laundry, or staring at
people. But in other countries I have visited, at one time or another all of
the above were acceptable behavior.

We also vary according to region...what may be acceptable in say, New York,
would be considered rude, abrupt, or too agresssive in the South. And
carrying a gun in Arizona is fully understood there, but the faces of the
tourists show their fear and amazement that "this is allowed!"

Just as when travelling abroad I try to "do as the Roman's do", in the
various parts of the States I try not to step outside of the local customs
when known. If a buyer, knowing that haggling is not the "norm" in the US
retail scene, insists on trying to haggle in every circumstance, then he/she
should be prepared for the disapproval it will entail. You may well say "it
doesn't hurt to ask", but be prepared to be met with a rebuff if the offer
was out of place.

Susan Steele
Virginia USA