Re: [OM] Lens recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens recommendations
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:53:34 -0800
Hi Folks,

I believe that this was eluded to a couple of days ago, but there hasn't been much comment on it so I thought I might raise it again. The question is are there cases, where zuikos of the same focal length are offered in different models, when one should not look to purchase the lens with the fastest aperature. I'm thinking, for example, of the 35-70mm with f3.6, f3.5-4.5, f4 or the 100mm f2 vs f2.8, 135mm f2.8 vs f3.5 etc. Are their situations where the slower lens is actually of better quality than the faster? Or situations where the jump to the faster aperature results in a disproportionate increase in price vs performance? I think this info would be valuable to those of us zuikoholics that are relatively new to all of this.

Thanks,

Bruce

Gary Reese has gone to a lot of time and effort to actually test these lenses. He did a terrific service for the list. The results are on his web site. That should answer most of your questions.

Olympus OM System Lens Tests http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA