[OM] Re: Examples of the slower lens being the better choice?

Subject: [OM] Re: Examples of the slower lens being the better choice?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:17:38
Ray, I dunno 'bout the Zuiko 28/2.8 being the better lens (compared with it's faster and slower siblings) but for my purposes it's certainly the better *choice*. While the f/2 version takes the same size filters, choosing it costs extra size and weight. Not to mention money, and judging from my tractor pix it's difficult to imagine any lens being much better.

The only problem I had with the 28/2.8 at first was telling it apart by feel from the 50/1.8 - they're nearly identical in size and weight. Now the the 50/1.8 has its own funky little metal clamp-on hood, while the 28/2.8 needs the flared threaded metal hood, I can tell just by reaching in the bag what's what.

Also, when I was a photojournalist I never could afford the fastest lenses so f/2.8 or even f/3.5 seems good enough. And now that fast films are better than ever I'm even less inclined to feel the need for the fastest glass.
===
Lex
===