Re: [OM] Examples of the slower lens being the better choice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Examples of the slower lens being the better choice?
From: Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 22:58:52 GMT
Ray Moth wrote:

>In your opinion, then, what cases exist in the Zuiko range where the
>slower alternative is actually a better all-round choice for most
>people, considering size, weight, cost and assuming one can actually
>live with the smaller maximum aperture?

OK Ray, you can have some opinion, for what it's worth. You're lucky, Gary
Reese's post was more succint so I've not waxed too long...

Most people could use the slower lens in most circumstances and not think
twice about it. I venture that prior to joining this list many were like me
- cheerfully unaware of the demon it would awaken. I will continue with my
use of slower lenses. The reasons:
* smaller, lighter, and (critically for me) much cheaper. After reading some
testimonies, it appears that quite a proportion of listfolk got into OM
because of its shape and size, and the feel in the hand. For climbing hills
or carrying any distance a reduction in weight and size is always valued.
* 49mm filter size - no duplication of filters (again, saving cost and weight)
* they're usually more common so easier to find

This is _not_ an argument against big, fast lenses. However, I feel that
making good photographs is not always reliant on having the most expensive
equipment. If smaller, lighter lenses allow you to make more good
photographs, then they work for you. If that's the case don't be seduced by
those big front elements. Lovely they undoubtedly are, but so are many
things we don't have and (many of us) don't need. I don't think my
photographs would improve much if I traded any of my lenses for the faster
version. The end result is surely what matters. Ancient Welsh proverb (made
up on the spot): A craftsman worries less about his tools than about the
product he makes.

If Gary's grades keep you awake at night, even though all your photos are
taken at optimum aperture, on a tripod, with self-timer on OM2sp/OM4/Ti and
slow film, then you really ought to consider trading up a format or two. And
if you're working in this manner you may not even see the benefits of the
faster lens. All IMHO.

My choice of 'slow' lenses: 24mm, 35mm, 50mm (f1.8). The 21 f3.5, 28 f2.8,
50 f3.5 macro and 100 f2.8 are also "unsung heroes" - capable of impressive
results.

Simon E.