Re: [OM] Setting infinity

Subject: Re: [OM] Setting infinity
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:15:06 -0600
Before you "change" anything, you might want to check for loose or
separating elements first.  Separation will usually look like a very
faint rainbow effect across an internal lens, perhaps even a little
mirror-like.  If that's the problem, you may not be able to adjust
enough, and if you can it may continue to shift.

To check for loose elements, hold both the lens release tab and aperture
stop-down tab in and shake the lens up and down -- a light "click-click"
sound from the parts and levers is normal, but a "clack-clack" sound is
possibly a loose element.  There's several retaining rings that can work
loose -- they'll have to be checked until you find the loose one.

Another way to check for a loose element is to mount the lens on a body,
point the lens toward the ground and tap it several times.  Then slowly
raise it to eye level and check focus -- note how far off it is.  Now,
hold the lens facing up, tap once more.  Slowly lower it to eye level,
and check again -- if the focus has changed, there's probably something
loose inside.

My notes on this lens are sparse and old -- if I'm reading them
properly, you'll want to loosen two of the three phillips screws
(there's a brass washer under each one, isn't there?), then while gently
loosening the third, nudge the screw head forward or back and
retighten.  Then check focus.  When things are right, tighten all three
snugly (don't strip!), and check again.  If still OK, put a little
sealant from the head of each screw to the body -- fingernail polish
will do (pick a nice color!).