Re: [OM] Lens recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens recommendations
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 19:36:36 +0100
On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 10:05:05PM -0500, Bruce & Wendy Hamm wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I believe that this was eluded to a couple of days ago, but there hasn't been
> much comment on it
> so I thought I might raise it again. The question is are there cases, where
> zuikos of the same
> focal length are offered in different models, when one should not look to
> purchase the lens with
> the fastest aperature. I'm thinking, for example, of the 35-70mm with f3.6,
> f3.5-4.5, f4 or the
> 100mm f2 vs f2.8, 135mm f2.8 vs f3.5 etc. Are their situations where the
> slower lens is actually
> of better quality than the faster? Or situations where the jump to the faster
> aperature results in
> a disproportionate increase in price vs performance? I think this info would
> be valuable to those
>  of us zuikoholics that are relatively new to all of this.

Bruce, Olympus took a lot of care that every Zuko lens offers the same high
(not highest) performance level.
In a prospectus from 1980, Olympus wrote that it would not be possible to
distinguish the 28mm F/3.5 and the 28mm F/2.0 when you compare their shoot`s.
Sure, the faster a lens is the more difficult it get`s to reach a high
performance level.
I like the Zuiko-lens-line to demonstrate this, when you compare the increasing
amount
of optical elements when the primes are getting faster and wider.

I know, I`m also a testing guy, thinking too much about lens qualities.
 Maybe this is because the first Zuiko I owned was a SC 1.4/50.
And the fist test I read were about this lens too, and its results were (not
that bad), but
somewhat poor..... :-(..... So the reserach went on, because I already owned
some more
 Zuko`s and achieved pleasant results...???

Maybe there are situations when the faster or slower version might have an
advantage, in
 respect to... but in most cases they should not as relevant to be visible in
the result.
Take your favorite Zuiko, or the one most appropiate to the situation, and
enjoy it.

Frieder Faig