Re: [OM] Fast lenses, slow photographers and other opinion

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast lenses, slow photographers and other opinion
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:53:04 -0800
Hooboy, here comes the firestorm of messages...

For myself, I can't really speak for or against the fast glass preferences.
I understand that the faster glass will make composition in dim places more
palatible. But as for the qualities of the images one gets between a f3.5
and a f2.0 (xxmm), I couldn't say.

One type of comparison I've never seen is side-by-side comparisons of Zuiko
lenses in real use, not lab tests. Lab tests shooting at a 1951 AF card
provide the technical measurements of clarity, contrast and aberations, but
I think real world common objects arranged in a scene would make for the
comparison that most users could appreciate. Put the camera on a tripod, set
up lighting, shoot the same scene with each lens wide open, 2 mid range
apertures and closed tight. Then apply your own subjective appraisal. I
suspect that between Zuiks the real differences that people will notice is
the wide open bokeh, and the ability to shoot with a little less light (both
viewfinder comfort and exposure gains). For most uses, the differences would
be subtle.

>From day one, I've always wanted fast glass. I think it's been a primal
desire. I like the bright viewfinder when the 50/1.4 is on the camera. But I
haven't jumped into the fray of the high speed teles or wides as yet. I
suspect I will eventually, but I don't have an overbearing need to, that
I've experienced yet. This may sound like I'm blind, but I took some posed
flash photos of the family in front of our fireplace. For some I used the
50/1.4. For some others I used the Tamron 28-200. I have not found any
remarkable difference in the quality of the shots. They are all sharp, good
balanced color with the details I expected. The major difference was not in
the images themselves, but in the composition process. The 50 was much
brighter in the viewfinder and easier to focus.

I fully expect the owners/users of the high speed glass to want to enlighten
me. After all, how could I make such statements based on my limited
experience? I look at photographs. I've seen extraordinary photographs taken
with both slow and fast lenses. I've seen perfectly ordinary photographs
taken with them as well. The difference occurs *behind* the viewfinder. Many
of our fast glass owning friends are extraordinary photographers. I don't
attribute that to the glass.

Back to life...
Mickey