Re: [OM] Fast lenses, slow photographers and other opinion

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast lenses, slow photographers and other opinion
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:45:47 -0800

*Pros use fast lenses-- Name your favorite 1/2 dozen photographers of all
time. I'm betting that if you even know the type of gear they use, their
best works weren't dependent on using fast lenses gagged wide open.

When Galen Rowell, one such professional, was still mostly using single focal lengths he argued against the fastest iteration of the lens because of the compromises made in the design for speed. He advised one fast wide angle, the 35mm F1.4, for situations where hand held shots in dim light were the only option. His favorite lens was his 24mm F2.8 for its contrast and lack of flare with outdoor subjects compared to a faster alternative. I am sure that small size was important in the small kit that he actually carried himself. It seemed like pretty good advice to me.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA