Re: [OM] OM-2S new owner

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S new owner
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 10:21:48 +0000
At 09:03 1/7/01, Thomas wrote:
A small hint to extend the battery lifetime (other than to unmount the
batteries) is to always leave the camera in "red 60" when in the
bag. Since the 2s comes without an "off" switch, any touch to the shutter
release will turn on the cameras electronics and drain battery unless the
shutter is in the red.

Likewise, if the viewfinder illuminator button (right side of prism housing) is kept depressed while in the camera bag, the illuminator will drain the cells _very_ quickly. The mechanical "red 60" and "red B" position also keeps the viewfinder illuminator from activating. Even if activated, and the ring moved to "red 60" (or B) position, it immediately turns off. I just tested this on my newly acquired 2S to see if it worked the same as on the OM-4, and it does.

The OM-2S/3[ti]/4[T,ti] are happiest when fed Silver Oxide 357 watch cells. These are also called "SR44W" cells. The "W" designation is the important part. It is a slight difference in the cell formulation to perform better under a continuous, but very small drain. Where I buy them, the same manufacturer cells in "357" packaging at the jewelry counter cost slightly less than the cells in "SR44" packaging at the camera counter.

-- John