[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2085

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2085
From: "Machiel" <machiel.botman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:05:44 +0100
Re:  faster and slower lenses

I am seeing more, perhaps only, professional photographers.  I am one
myself, I have printed for important photographers, I do curatorial work in
photography.....  There is no difference between amateurs and pro's re this
question - we all go back and forth about equipment.  Sometimes it's the
faster lenses, sometimes it is the slower lenses.  For all the reasons we've
just read here.

Quality is so subjective.  Before I was 10 years old I photographed my white
cat in white snow with a Kodak Instamatic.  It is a geat image, because of
obvious reasons, but mostly because of the quality of this lens:  a bit
obscurish, not really sharp and very atmospheric.  I am now about 40 years
further down the road, but I have not come close to this image.  Had I  used
my Petri or some Rusian reflex I had then (name?) this image would not have
had that magic.

Some other considerations:
David Duncan made a book called:  The Silent Studio, about Picasso's studio
after his death.  Duncan uses the Noctilux, among others, check it out -
this book must be one of the nicest printed books of all times.  It is in
helio, but unlike many other heliogravure books, this one has beautiful
clarity.  I don't think it is because of the lens, but because of the
bookprinting.

I have used a Leitz Focomat 2C for ages, to print my Olympus negs.  Many
times I was asked which Leica I use.  One day my 2C needed repair and I used
a Leiz 1C to replace.  It did not work out:  harder and colder prints, it
took me a while to realise this was due to the fact that the negative
carrier in the 1C has no glass, and in the 2C it does have glass plates.
Enlargers may be as important as the camera's.

Olympus is great because it is so small and light.  And inexpensive
compaired to...... I am looking for a 21/2 and would like to trade it for a
40/2  that I have extra (seems they go for about the same).  Anyone out
there?  Machiel