Re: [OM] Roll Call

Subject: Re: [OM] Roll Call
From: "Philip Schroeter" <philschroeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:29:52 -0000
Philip Schroeter
North Yorkshire
England

Hello all

I've been lurking for a few months - not said much 'cos by the time I've got
up to date with the list any contribution I might make has been adequately
covered.

Got into photography with a Zenit E in '75, replaced this with an OM1 & 50
f/1.8 in '77 (still my main 35mm camera), rapidly added second-hand OM1
(currently in need of repair), Vivitar 28 f/2.5, Vivitar 70-150 f/3.8, cheap
Sigma 18 f/3.5 & Zuiko 135 f/3.5. - all fairly ordinary glass but does the
job. Recently got an OM10 with 50 f/1.8 MC (it was cheaper than getting the
OM1 repaired).

My wife, Helen, who I met at college where we were studying the same
photography course uses Nikon FMs - fine cameras but klunky compared with
the OM1. I've just bought her a Tamron 35-70 f/3.5 adaptall 2 for her
Christmas pressy - waiting for the first results to see if it's worth
getting an OM mount :-)

Someone was asking about medium format.
I did wedding photography for a few years using a Mamiya C220 - great
results. Then traded this in against a Bronica SQ-A. The Bronica is a superb
camera - my only regret is not keeping the Mamiya as backup. I've also used
the Mamiya RB67 & Bronica GS1 - the RB67 is really at its best as a studio
camera & the GS1 needs the prism to be useful. If you are getting a reflex
camera then I think that 6x6 is the best format as it's easily usable with
the WLF saving weight & cost.
(BTW after producing copy & composite negs in pro labs for a number of years
I tend to think of 6x6 as small format!). About 20 years ago I had a Zenith
80 but never got really sharp results from it - I suspect because the
semi-auto diaphragm went off with such a klunk. Helen also had a Bronica S2a
at one time - great lenses. Only reason we got rid of it was the slow flash
sync speed which was no good for fill-in flash on the weddings & portraits
we were doing at the time.  For metering I use a Weston Master V, normally
taking a reflected light reading from a skin tone (back of my hand), not
high-tech but simple, consistent & reliable.

Cheers
Philip