Re: [OM] Zuiko 200/4 Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 200/4 Lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:31:13 -0800
I'm "testing" a Zuiko 200/4 lens that was in my favorite used-camera
store.  It's in good (not great...  just good) shape....  glass looks perfect,
no dust inside, some wear on the outside, focus is smooth but
aperature feels a bit "worn", S/N is 107467 and it exhibits a magenta
and yellow relfection so I *think* it's multicoated (???).  Comes with
original caps but no case.

Their "asking" price is CDN$175.00 (US$117.00) but I can get it for
CDN$125.00 (US$84.00) if I really want it.

My questions....

1.  Anyone shoot with this beastie wanna comment on the quality of its
output?  How's the contrast, bokah, etc.?

2.  Any comments on those prices?

3.  For telephoto shots, I currently use a 75-150/4.  If I need a longer
focal length, I add a Kiron 7-element 2X teleconverter.  Do I really *need*
the 200/4 lens, and if so why?  (Yeah, like *that* has anything to do
with it!)

Thanks, in advance, for any advice/comments offered.

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

If it says "Made in Japan" or "MC" or neither on the lens ring it is multi-coated. If it says "SC" it is single coated.I think that would be a really good price even in the US if it multi-coated and does not look too bad. I think mine takes really nice pictures. It is about as long a lens as I can hand hold steady and only a percentage of the time then. I have frequently wished for another stop wider, but not considering the extra size and weight that would entail. If I want to travel sort of light/medium weight I take the 24mm, 35-80, and the 200. I don't use the 200 all that much, but it really reaches out and gets a nice shot once in a while.

Check out Gary Reese's tests. This is a nice lens when mounted on the right tripod and camera. I think it would be an improvement over telephoto plus teleconverter. Easier and faster to mount too. Heavier to carry though.

Winsor

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA