Re: [OM] Shutter Hang on OM-2N

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter Hang on OM-2N
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 17:48:39 +0000
At 17:08 1/7/01, you wrote:
JUANITA M. ALMEDA wrote:

> I have what may be a similar problem. On my OM PC, I sometimes encounter the > shutter hanging (remains open ) after taking a shot with a T series flash on
> it.
>
> Thereafter the camera totally hangs, i.e. even if I press again on the
> shutter button, nothing happens. The hang is cured by removing the
> batteries. As soon as contact is broekn by loosening the battery cover, the
> shutter closes.

Sounds like a severe case of sticky magnet -- at least you should hope
so!  That's not too difficult to correct, and doesn't require parts.
[snip]

I don't have an OM-PC. Could this also be the classic "batteries at end of life" lockup?

This has happened with the OM-4 and T-series flash and under these circumstances, unlike with using the self-timer, it can be intermittent. Replacing the cells with _good_ new ones has always cured it.

One of the problems with every OM body I've had is the "battery check" function. It really only tells you if there are cells in the camera, not if they're up to running everything without a mirror lockup.

-- John