Re: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 18:26:24 -0800
Hi Rich:

<< Can someone relay similar info. on the various versions of the 50mm
f/1.4?  I read somewhere (probably here, or in the archives) that the
serial nos. above 1 million are the more desirable, MC versions.  Are
there other variations to look for?  "Made in Japan" inside the aperture
ring, for example, that would distinguish a more desirable version? >>

The subject line is sure to get a bunch of subscribers skipping over
this posting!!!

Those labeled MC (and didn't ever get a ID ring replaced with one just
saying Zuiko, like due to a repair) are the intermediate version, with
serial numbers from 1,000,000 to something under 1,100,000. They only
have an element or two multicoated. I like to call them MC1 The
performance appears to be a significant improvement from the silver
nosed ones with serial numbers below 1,000,000. We call those SC. The
last version with all multicoated elements is the best of the lot. I
like to call them MC2.

<< Is the early "silver nose" version desirable from a collector
standpoint?  Or just an O.K. lens? >>

Just an OK one. Smart buyers only pay about $50 or a bit more for these.

<< Skip Williams site, at:
http://www.skipwilliams.com/olympus/zuiko_ebay_analysis.htm shows prices
varying from $20 to $168, which is a HECK of a range, with an average of
$62, std. deviation of $20. >>

Clear price differentiation exists in all SC vs. MC lenses, with the
exception of the 50mm f/1.8  The archives will show that I once said it
didn't. Well, the market is getting smarter, thanks to the efforts of
various list members who share their knowledge on WWW sites, as well as
the repeated auctions where smart sellers hype the differences. Using
the multicoated serial number guide, one can determine SC vs. MC on many
lenses where it isn't stated in the description.

<< I guess what I'm looking for is a little better idea of which ones
would command the $168, or not, and why. >>

Actually, $232 is the highest price ever paid for one (an MC2) on eBay,
with a few others above $168. I believe OM List subscriber Gary Schloss
holds the sales record for an MC1 at $155 (9+ condition). Basically,
fine examples of MC1 and MC2 demand high prices, unless they were
sleeper auctions.

You won't see in my SQF data the difference between the MC1 and MC2
because I didn't record the serial numbers, except to say they were
>1,000,000.  Initially, I didn't know there was a multi-coating version
difference. But I've tested three MC2's and they are "better" than the 2
or 3 MC1's I've tested. Of couse I kept the best I ever tested. (Nope,
it isn't for sale even at $233).  I'll try and sort out what is what
some day and revise the lens test text.

Bottom line: you have to know the coating to know the value.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV