Re: [OM] Will high-capacity batteries harm my flash?

Subject: Re: [OM] Will high-capacity batteries harm my flash?
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:14:53 -0800 (PST)
William Sommerwerck wrote:
(snip) . . .the surprising answer is that rechargeable batteries
>>can<< harm some flashes. Alkaline cells have a higher internal
resistance than NiCd or NiMH cells. Some flashes (mostly cheaper units)
are designed to use this resistance to limit current flow to the
oscillator. If NiCd or NiMH cells were used, more current would flow
and the flash might overheat to the point of damage. I know of no
"quality" flash with this problem. . . (snip)
I once wrecked an A11 flashgun (as used on XA cameras) when I
inadvertantly used a NiCd cell in it. To be fair, Olympus did warn the
user that NiCd would damage the A11 . . . they were right :-O

Regards,

=====
Ray