Re: [OM] OM-2S new owner

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S new owner
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:35:40 -0800 (PST)
David A. Wilson wrote:
I am a new owner of a used OM-2S.  I have put in a fresh set of
batteries to check it out and I have found the shutter hangs open
whenever the speed registers below 1/60.  This happens in both program
mode (with the aperature set to f16) and auto mode.  I also attached an
Olympus T20 flash and it does not operate with the camera either.  I
have an OM-1 and an OM-10 (wife's) and the flash operates on those just
fine.  I was hoping someone with an OM-2S could help verify for me
whether or not these symptoms are normal and/or perhaps provide some
pointers to check it out further.  Thanks
David,

The behaviour of your shutter suggests that you didn't have film in the
camera when you tested it. With the OM-2S in auto or program mode,
indicated speeds above 1/60 will normally match the actual exposure,
with or without film, because both the inicated speed and the actual
speed are based on the measurement of light reflected from the shutter
curtain. At 1/60 and slower speeds, however, the indicated speed is
still based on light reflected from the shutter curtain (it obviously
has to be) but the light measurement during the actual exposure is
taken mostly off the film (OTF). The black back-plate reflects very
little light . . . so, with no film, the camera leaves the shutter open
for much longer than indicated.

Don't know about your flash problem: it should work unless there's a
fault in the camera or a poor electrical contact. You could try
cleaning the contacts in the camera's hot-shoe. Also, check that you
have tightened the clamp properly on the flashgun's foot.

Regards,

=====
Ray