Re: [OM] [OT] Price haggling

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Price haggling
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:57:32 -0800 (PST)
Juanita wrote:
In HOng Kong,just asking the price and not buying gets them mad
sometimes...
It sure does! I did exactly that with several traders in HK before I
got one to call me back into his store and offer a 'bargain' price for
a (new) OM-2n. My time was short: I was stopping over for only a couple
of days, on my way from Australia to the UK. At that time, in April
1983, the "duty free" store prices in Australia were ridiculously high,
whereas I knew that ordinary retail prices in the UK were exceptionally
low. I decided I'd only buy in HK if I could get a significantly better
bargain, otherwise I'd wait until I got to London. I did, eventually,
get what I was looking for, but only after irritating quite a few
shopkeepers!

Regards,

=====
Ray