Re: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm Lens Versions
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 02:34:01 EST
> John A. Lind wrote:
>  >
>  > I will second C.H. Ling's observation about manufacturing variation and
>  > tooling wear.  I know it all too well with what I do professionally in
>  > electronics manufacturing.
>  >
In most precision manufacturing, constant "batching" is done to check that
dimensions, etc, fall within acceptable tolerances.  When things start to
drift too far from "nominal", adjustments are made.  Statistical process
control, etc.

The Japanese have a well-deserved and hard-won reputation for manufacturing
excellence.

My "hunch" is that there are a BUNCH of other factors which affect things
more than manufacturing variations, when it comes to evaluating/comparing
lenses, esp. just one sample vs. just one other sample.  Unless someone is
testing in a truly scientific way, holding constant any and every factor that
may affect lens performance, and using representative samples from large
"populations" of lenses, results can be all over the map.  Can't they?

Rich