Re: [OM] Price haggling?

Subject: Re: [OM] Price haggling?
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:11:55 -0500 (EST)
Actually I also had a bad experience in HK some time ago (on Nathan Rd.).
It was shortly after the OM2000 was introduced and the first one I came
across was on display in a shop window -- all wrapped in plastic.  I
went in and asked to see it, the sales person asked "Are you going to
buy it?"  I said I might, and so he took it out of the window for me,
still wrapped.  I could not even look through the viewfinder, so I asked
him to take the plastic wrap off.  It had the non-Oly 35-70 lens on it.
Then I asked if I can mount my Zuiko lenses to try (I had my trusty OM-1
with me at the time with a 28, 50, and 135 lenses).  He refused, saying
he doesn't want me to handle the camera and he doesn't know what kind of
lenses I had, which might damage the new camers.  So I handed the OM2000
back to him and proceeded to walk out.  He was behind me yelling how I
wasted his time, I had no business looking at the camera if I didn't
intend to buy it, etc..

It is all a hit-or-miss with tourist shops in HK.  At another place, I
had very good service looking at lenses for my OM-1, even though I did
not buy any of them.  But I did buy a battery for my call phone really
cheap there.
        -Dan