Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Fuji Superia X-TRA 166 Film

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Fuji Superia X-TRA 166 Film
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 11:31:05 -0800
At 11:11 AM 1/8/01 -0700, Chris O. wrote:

>Thanks for that additional info.  What I'm most interested in, though, is
>the 1600 film.  I'm thinking it would be great for low-light situations
>without a flash, and that I could also use it outdoors by plunking
>(gently!) an ND filter on the end of the lens(es).  I've never done this
>before, so I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has.  Actually,
>come to think of it, anyone who's done this with ANY film (doesn't need
>to be Fuji X-tra 1600) is welcome to comment.

Hi Chris,
Shot some of the  Fuji 1600 for the local paper in December. Used it for an
evening Xmas parade and later the lighted boat sailpast. While the shots
were ok, in chatting with a longtime shooter at the paper he mentioned that
he found the speed was "overrated" - he typically shot it at 800 - 1000 and
then only for low light stuff. Since the paper only scans negs and then
prints on newsprint I never saw a real print from the film. Would think
though that this is definitely one of those "if necessary to get the shot"
types rather than a general purpose film.

Barry H