Re: [OM] (Fwd) Recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) Recommendations
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:44:56 EST
Hi John.
The only thing I can say is the XA lens does *approach* SLR quality. If your
Stylus 140 produces excellent 8X10s, I'd say that's pretty darn good too, and
I don't see how it can be bettered in a similar class P&S. The XA's lens is
the one area where Maitani absolutely refused to compromise. It is 6 elements
in 5 groups. The Olympus Vision Age series always pushed and praised the XA
camera. Those issues were filled with examples that internationally
recognized pro photographers were able to achieve. Many pros of the day took
it along as a backup (as Olympus claimed for the Stylus a bit later on) and
it went literally everywhere, from Chile to the Himalayas. Good examples with
flash seem to command more on eBay today than they did a year or two ago- but
doesn't everything on eBay seem to cost more now? They have apparently sold
there recently for between $65- $160 with flash. I recall a while ago where
they were closer to the $50-$75 range.

George S.

 jpendley@xxxxxxx writes:

<< I have a Stylus 140 DLX.  The lens produces excellent results at
 8x10.  Is the lens on the XA that much better?  If so, what would you say is
 a fair price for an XA  with flash? >>