Re: [OM] Helicoid grease (was:50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro)

Subject: Re: [OM] Helicoid grease (was:50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro)
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:14:46 -0800
I noticed that the Micro-Tools catalog lists several different
viscosities of helicoid grease.  Which is the favored one?  Personally I
like the focusing to be a bit tight, but when I rebuilt a very loose
35/2.8, I used what I had around - silicone vacuum grease :)  I almost
need a wrench to move it now :)

>Most loose helicoids are either replaced due to extreme use or regreased.
>That's it for tightening a helicoid.
>If you take the helicoid apart, be sure to mark the points where the tubes
>disengage from each other.  They can thread back together in multiple
>positions and if you don't start with the ONE correct position,   the levers
>in the back will not line up with the correct position on the mount.

Yep, spent quite a long time figuring this out on the 35/2.8 :)

>John  Hermanson

Mark Marr-Lyon