Re: [OM] film death watch

Subject: Re: [OM] film death watch
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:36:36 +0000
At 05:04 1/9/01, Charles Packard wrote:
Now that's a potentially scary thought. What if speed and cost aren't the only reasons? What if Fuji and others are now going to intentionally lower the processing quality of their film/print processors to accelerate the belief in the masses (us) that digital quality has already surpassed film quality? A psychological gambit on the part of evil pitch men, perhaps? We have all to some extent or another have been conditioned into believing that newer is better. And in the past few decades conditioned into believing (by forced acceptance mostly) that nothing lasts for more than a few years? Ours is a disposable society where profit is the game, durability is lame.

Charles, the print quality expectation of the general public for 35mm and APS from one-hour labs is already down the toilet. It's why I gave up on the ones around me a few years ago and started shooting mostly chromes. My "better half" is continually taking her stuff back for rework. The average Program Mode, AF P&S consumer simply accepts whatever is handed back in the envelope, and the one-hour lab is instant gratification. Check out the pricing for most Kodak "Creation Station" setups next to the one-hour lab! Instant gratification at twice the cost of what a pro lab will do, and do much better. The one here gets heavily used too.

I live in a small town. The nearest pro lab that can show what one can really get out of prints is about 50 miles away in the "Big City." They don't know any better and perhaps don't care . . . it's how fast you can get stuff back that counts.

-- John