Re: [OM] 50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 01:59:19 +0100
On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 07:38:33PM -0500, Dogbreath wrote:
> . There is a floating
> element in the 50/2 which improves its performance at infinity, which I'm
> sure you're all aware of. Moving that element about independently requires
> additional mechanical linkage which results in a perceptible resistance. My
> particular lens is, without question, the most challenging of any Zuiko
> lens I've ever tried in terms of focusing resistance. In fact, it resists
> the turning of the focus ring so much that the lens actually shifts in the
> camera's mount!
>  Theory might well refute it, but my eyes have
> seen the best of the best and I'm completely addicted. It takes my breath
> away every time! I just wish I could focus the darn thing without spraining
> my fingers!

DB,
 I`ve a 3.5/50 Macro Zuiko, which is easy to focus. For manual work it is
very satisfactory, like other Zuikos. But once I´ve used the lens for repro-work
I´ve noticed a serious drawback of this easiness focusing. The camera was
justified with
the lens looking down. After focusing the subject I noticed that the focusing
distance was
slipping away!  The weight of the moveable lens parts turned the focusing
barrel,
because there was not enough resistance in the focusing barrel!
I guess this is caused because of a larger gradient of the helicoid of the
macro lens.

Oh, just another advantage of the dissadvantage, or äh rather an dissadvantage
of the ...

Frieder Faig.

...still thinking about the design of a suitable lens brake,
 ....but at the moment there is no demand.....although the lens
 is still shifting when examined...